Monday, January 9, 2012

the third and last stage and the start of something new

So I think I'm done with this painting, not because I think it's finished, but because I can't fix it.  I am used to painting with oil and being able to push and pull things around till I get it right.  With watercolors I feel like you have to have a clear idea of where things are going from the start.  I sketched this in quickly and there is something not quite right with the drawing of the eyes, something that can't be fixed with slight tonal gradations that I keep layering on...  Oh well, it was a good learning experience and I will try this one again. 

 For now I decided to start a new painting.  Here it is in the very early stages...

I don't want to even think about the drawing this time, so I just traced an enlargement of my picture on the lightbox.  The photo itself is quite blurry anyway so I can't get caught up in details.  It is a photo of my son at an apple orchard in the fall and the colors are so crisp and clear that I thought it would a good choice to work on color with, especially since I'm using my daughter's kiddie watercolor set with it's ummm, "limited" palette.  My new paints will hopefully arrive soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment