Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Day 8 - Moulton Farm

"Moulton Farm"
4" x 4"
mixed media, acrylic


Still obsessing on this little farm photo...  

I think I have too many (painting) balls in the air.  I'm still learning about color, and color temperature, and I've never really done a landscape so I'm having a hard time with this one.  There is just something about it that makes me want to keep trying to capture it.

So, today I thought I'd eliminate one of the issues (drawing) and paint directly on a black and white photocopy of the photo.  One of the things I really liked about the farm was the jumble of building all lumped together.  But each time I painted it I just simplified them to one or two buildings, and even then they were not rendered well.  I think I'm just working at way too small of a scale to have room for all the information I'd like to present.  Not to mention the fact that my favorite paintings have very little in the way of detail, and are more about an overall feel, or gesture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment