Wednesday, September 2, 2015

My 100th day


My 100 Day project was complete on August 19th, but the end of August was so busy with the kids that I am just now getting to reflect on it...and I've already moved on to a new venture!  But before I talk about that, I thought I'd talk a bit about my 100 days.
Starting on May 1st, I painted in my sketchbook every day (missing a few) for 100 days, all dogs.  This was such a great learning experience and I'm so glad I stuck with it.  Committing to a single subject-dogs, medium-watercolor, and format-sketchbook, eliminates the "what will I paint today?" And just gets me started painting which is the hardest part. Most days I would end up doing more than that first sketchbook painting, whether it was working on a commissioned pet portrait or just working on more sketches. I would jump around with my approach, ( pencil sketch first then carefully layered watercolor, or jumping right in with washy gestures) but at least I always knew where to start.  This experience made me so much more comfortable working with the watercolor, as well as with the subject matter.  Now I'm going to try and apply this to portraits (people portraits) which is my first love.  I struggle with them, but I know it's because I want so much to be able to express my view. Hopefully committing to doing 30 portraits in 30 days will help me get closer!

No comments:

Post a Comment