Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Day Seven of Thirty

watercolor 4" x 6"

It has been liberating to work in only two colors, a warm and a cool, glazing one over the other to create a neutral.  It streamlines the painting process for me so that I can focus on tone, value and controlling the edges (which is the most difficult thing for me with watercolor).  If I had to think about color I would be stalled.  But now I'm itching to add more color!  On this one I'd love to add a little cadmium red to those cheeks.  I think I'll have to go back and do another full color version of her.  Also, I could work on this for another day but with watercolor you really lose the freshness the more you noodle with it.  Which makes me want to break out the oils (or acrylics) and noodle.

3 comments:

  1. This is beautiful! I think an artist learns a lot about color when working with a limited palette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire! The limited palette is a great baby step to get me back into painting.

      Delete
  2. I gave up on watercolor a long time ago... that controlling the edges thing got to me! I really like the idea of your two color paintings. Have you ever tried it in oils? I already know that I will return to many of the paintings I've done for the challenge to "noodle" but it is nice to let them sit a while and think about how I can improve them. Beautiful baby portrait!!

    ReplyDelete